Changes for 2012-2013
* Provost's Update: “In an effort to provide a common first-year course experience for all our students, the deans and associate deans discussed and agreed to the items outlined below. These changes have been approved by CAA and will help ensure that our students are receiving a consistent message and curriculum during the first semester.”
- Course Title Change: All courses previously titled “Academic Orientation” will now be referred to as “Student Success Seminars” as to diminish the confusion between the summer orientation experience and the academic courses.
- GSD 101: Foundations of Learning (3 credit hour Student Success Seminar with a critical thinking component) has been approved by CAA for all incoming first year students with less than 30 hours earned and who enter as undeclared in major, with no more than one developmental course requirement. (Students with two or more developmental course requirements will still be required to enroll in GSO 102.) GSO 100 will no longer be utilized.
- Textbook: The EKU faculty/staff authored textbook, Explore, Evaluate, Expand, Express, has been adopted for all Student Success Seminars beginning in Fall 2012. The book will continue to be printed with a 3-hole punch so departments can add additional material. Desk copies will be distributed to instructors at the May retreat.
- May Retreat: Instructors from academic departments teaching Student Success Seminars will attend the May Retreat described at the bottom of this page.
- Standardized SLO's: All Student Success Seminars will share these common SLOs during the first 8 weeks. Departments may add additional SLOs.
- Students will be able to define critical thinking and recognize when it is being used.
- Students will have a practical understanding of General Education and their academic options at EKU.
- Students will be able to identify academic resources and support services important for academic success.
- Students will utilize techniques to effectively manage time and priorities.
- Students will engage in a diversity of experiences which promote connection to the University.
- Online Student Success Seminar: GSD 101 will be offered online during the Fall 2012 semester for all e-campus students with less than 30 transfer hours.
Published on April 02, 2012