The Office of First Year Courses administers the Student Success Seminars for all first-year students entering EKU. Student Success Seminars are designed to foster student success and help students transition to University life. Eastern Kentucky University offers several variations of the seminar, depending upon major or special interest group.
· Students who enter the University with a declared major enroll in a 1-hour seminar in their college (ASO, BTO, EDO, HSO, JSO, or HON100).
· Exploratory students (students who have not declared a major in a college) will enroll in a 3-hour course, GSD 101, which incorporates a unit on major and career exploration, in addition to critical thinking and success strategies.
· Sections of GSD 101 are also offered for special populations, such as NOVA, Student Athletes, Veterans and Eastern Bridge.
The Office of First Year Courses is also home to GSD 101 Learning Communities. Eligible students are pre-enrolled in learning communities on an as-available basis. In a learning community, you will take two classes with the same group of students and will have opportunities to interact with your instructors, classmates, and peer mentor outside of class.
Taking part in a learning community will provide you with these benefits:
- Attend two classes with the same group of students
- Secure your seat during the most popular class times in high demand classes
- Get involved, meet people, and make friends
- Attend out-of-class programs
- Learn about the helpful resources available to you at EKU
- Boost your chances of academic success
- Get to know your instructors and classmates better
- Create lasting friendships
- Broaden your learning experience
- Make a large university feel smaller
- Learn and have fun!